Sunday, June 6, 2010

June 5, 2010

Wow...the big day is finally here - LBR's first show. Gary & Cindy left the hotel around 6:30 a.m. to head to the show grounds.

LBR & BP were well rested and ready for their breakfast. LBR called to Gary & Cindy as they got out of the truck.

Cindy fed the horses while Gary cleaned stalls (Cindy is lucky). BP's owner arrived around 7:30 a.m.

LBR was shown in four classes - two each by Cindy & Gary: Ground Poles-Novice; Cross Rails; Halter-Geldings; and In Hand Trail.

Cindy changed into her show clothes around 8:00 a.m. as Gary tacked up LBR for schooling. They headed over to the schooling ring and Cindy rode for a while. LBR didn't seem comfortable and wasn't moving out. Gary rode for a few minutes and agreed. They decided that he was uncomfortable with his new saddle pad and girth so they took him back to his stall and switched to his schooling pad and girth.

Cindy then rode him breifly in the warm up area and LBR settled.

The first class was Cindy riding LBR over ground poles. There were 12 people in the class. Most entries were cute kids riding even cuter ponies. Most trotted the course, but because LBR had a rough start Cindy walked the course. LBR ROCKED!!!!! He was responsive to leg aids and walked perfectly over the center of the poles. The only "fear" he had was of the Horse-Eating-Dumpster outside the arena. He did however yeild to leg aids and go on a loose rein the entire time - even bending at the poll/keeping his nose down.

Cindy had no hopes of ribbons today so she got a little teary eyed when they finished in 5th place...take that you cute kids and ponies (just kidding).

The next class was cross-rails. Cindy started LBR with a circle after entering the arena to "settle" LBR. She brought him up to the trot and posted as he went calmly over the first cross-rail. On the second one, she took the half-seat position. LBR took that as WOO HOO...we can jump and canter. He dropped his head and was about to kick out when Cindy corrected him and made him stop. She circled back around at the walk and made him go calmly over the cross-rail before withdrawing from the class. Oh well, it's all part of the learning experience for them both.

Gary & Cindy took LBR back to his stall to take off his saddle and groom him. By the time they had finished, it was time for Gary to show him in halter in the indoor arena. There were 20 horses in the class. Gary led LBR up to the judge and trotted him away in a perfect line. LBR was calm but perky in the class. He stood nicely and Gary was so proud of him. Unfortunately, the only horses that placed in the class were quarter horses - oh well,'s about the experience and cause (LOPE charity). Gary took LBR back to his stall for a little rest before haltering him back up for the in-hand trail class.

Gary and Cindy did not know what to expect from LBR for this. The course included opening/closing a gate, walking over poles, trotting over poles in a circle, walking over a wooden "bridge", backing up in a "L" between poles, turning around in a circle in a 6' square made of poles and then trotting a serpantine through cones.

LBR is so trusting of Gary....he did the gate, poles and pin-wheel trot over poles perfectly. The first attempt over the bridge, Gary walked to the left of the bridge so LBR did too. The second time, Gary walked over the bridge adn so did LBR (can you say PROUD?). The next obstacle - backing the "L" started off very well. They backed the first portion, made the turn, but unfortunately LBR stepped out with one foot. After that, they did the circle in the square PERFECTLY. The square was so small that LBR had to keep his legs under him and take the tiniest steps. They finished up the course trotting the serpantine flawlessly. LBR may have placed in this class, but the placings were not announced before they headed back home.

BP was not feeling well so rather than stay for the rest of the day, they headed home around 1:30 p.m. The trip back was uneventful. Both horses loaded easily and traffic was not bad.

As they pulled into the stables LBR announced his return to everyone as they drove the quarter mile down the driveway. "Whinny, Whinny, I was a winner. Whinny, Whinny, I'm back".

LBR was a bit hot from the ride so Gary rinsed him off before putting him back into his paddock where Cindy had placed his morning alfalfa.

Cindy and Gary returned the trailer to the neighbor's stables and cleaned it out before heading home around 3:30 p.m.

Wow - this was a long two (2) days.

No comments:

Post a Comment